If you’re in Howard County and work in real estate, a home-related service, property sales or management, then this page of resources and tips was designed with you in mind. There are a number of thoughtful habits, free tools and simple actions you can take to be a more involved and engaged professional in the local community. Read on and kindly share this information with others in your field To start …
Get your blog listed on HoCoBlogs
It’s free to be listed on HoCoBlogs.com and takes but a few minutes to do. You can learn more about which blogs we list and why; read here. We’d love to have a Homes or Real Estate section on our site, and to do so, we need more blogs listed to flesh that out. Whom do you know in Howard County who might have a blog? Other agents? Landscape firms? Interior decorators? Plumbers or HVAC services? Title firms and mortgage brokers? What about apartments, HOAS and villages? If their blog is related to homes, home services and real estate (commercial real estate, too) — and if they are located in Howard County — we’d like them listed on our site.
Get to know the local bloggers
Understand how to prepare your content (news, events, announcements, video and more) so that bloggers can blog more easily and readily about your business. Read this and this to cover your bases. Attend our local parties if you have a chance.
Use Twitter and hashtags with intent
- Follow this list of HoCo Homes- and Real Estate-related Twitter accounts – and make sure that you’re on it, too — to stay up to date with the local real estate scene and to see how other businesses are managing their Twitter presences.
- Get to know your HoCo hashtags. Here’s a robust list. And follow@HoCoBlogs to see an active use of local hashtags.
- Check out #HoCoHomes on RebelMouse to see how tweets with that hashtag automatically publish on this site.
- Use local hashtags in your tweets. In particular –
- #HoCoHomes (for news, announcements and listings re Howard County homes and services)
- #HoCoMd, #ColumbiaMd, #EllicottCity, #OaklandMills, etc. (to indicate place in your tweets)
- #HoCoEvents (for any and all events in Howard County)
- #HoCoGives (charity events, donation nights, fundraisers)
- And for commercial realtors, #HoCoZo, #HoCoDevelopment, #HoCoRetail and #HoCoBiz are some to use.
Tap into Foursquare
Are you focusing on a specific neighborhood in the county? Consider making a FourSquare list or two. You could make a list of all the amenities (schools, parks, businesses and more) in one defined area. Or a list of all the, for example, Korean restaurants. Why? It makes you a good corporate citizen, provides a service to your customers and helps take your brand out to a wider audience when people share the list with friends. Here are some examples:
- Half-price burgers in Howard County
- Best Coffee Spots in Howard County
- Gluten-free Restaurants in Howard County
- Farms and Farm Stands in and around Howard County
- Dressier Restaurants in Howard County
Consider co-hosting a blog party
We’ve got a long tradition of hosting parties at local restaurants for bloggers and their readers. In recent years, we’ve had 50-100 people at our parties and we bring a lot of social capital to our events with blog posts, tweets and Facebook updates before, during and after the party. Your goodwill toward the bloggers (as a co-host and the provider of some happy hour food or hors d’ouevres) translates frequently into their social media and community goodwill toward your business. Plus, we bring a really nice crowd, and your staff will probably enjoy having us as your guests.
Share your news!
Read this page for more tips and help on how to share your news with Howard County bloggers and social media activists and enthusiasts.