An updated version of the links and info is here.
Have you heard about the Verona Apartments in Oakland Mills and the HoCo Housing Commission’s plans to purchase the complex? There’s a lot going on. A lot of blog posts, newspaper articles, emails and more. There’s concern and confusion, excitement and forward-thinking. There’s also a walking tour of the area and a bus ride and tour of a similar project; there’s a community meeting in Oakland Mills. And there’s opportunity aplenty for you to get involved.
Read. Blog. Tweet. Chime in. Come to the walking tour, take photos and do a photo story. Or create some Vine or YouTube videos. Or a storify.com compilation. I’m figuring the walking tour could be a lot of fun and that it will be rather social. (I’m betting you’re likely to meet at least a few local bloggers, some reporters, elected officials, candidates and local civil servants working for the HoCoGov.) Plus, there are refreshments to be had. So, get local. Be local. There’s no one else to care about this community — our community — except us, and that includes you.
Here’s some info to get you going.
- Walking Tour – Sunday, Nov 17th, 1 pm – The County will be hosting a walking tour about the future of the Oakland Mills Village Center and areas for potential enhancements. A tour of the Verona Apartments, the village and surrounding areas will be done on foot; that’s part one. Part two is a group bus ride (yes, you can drive your own car) over to Monarch Mills Apartments, upon which the County is modeling some of their plans for the Verona Apartments. Gather at the pavillion in the village center by the Columbia Bank at 1 pm. Refreshments will be served. And to reserve your spot on the group bus, please email Regina Clay at firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure there’s a seat for you on the bus. This event ends at 3 pm. Find more info about the walking tour here.
- Village Meeting – Tuesday, Nov. 19th, 7:30 pm at The Other Barn in the Oakland Mills Village Center – Meet with County officials to hear more about their plans for Verona Apartments and the village center; it’s an opportunity to learn, engage, express and get more informed.
Twitter hashtags to use and/or follow
- Give the Verona Sale a Chance – Scratchpad of an Urban Bushwoman
- What a Party and One Way to Solve the Verona Problem – The 53
- Relationships: Verona Apartments, My View – Village Green/Town Squared
- The Plot Thickens at the Verona – Scratchpad of an Urban Bushwoman
- Heather’s Choice, Corkran’s Kickoff, and Last Night’s OM Board Meeting – The 53
Oakland Mills communication
- OM community newsletter article (scroll down to view) – Bill Gray, OMCA Board Chair
- Letter to OM residents in his “Hot Topics Bulletin” email – Alex Hekemian, Columbia Council Rep
Newspaper articles & letters to the ed
- County’s purchase of apartments concerns Oakland Mills residents – Baltimore Sun
- Verona Apartments Changing Ownership – Columbia Patch
- Letter to the Editor
Government & Commission links
- Letter and FAQ re Oakland Mills Improvements and the purchase (Scribd is nice but wish you had a blog, dear HoCoGov) 🙂
- Howard County Housing Commission
Verona Apartments links
- CBRE Marketplace info
- The Verona’s Walk Score
- YouTube promotional video
- Rent Advisor rating
- Google Images for Verona Apartments
- Verona Apartment’s website
Note: This post is updated. I originally and mistakenly thought this property was the same as the notorious Copperhead Apartments (now Forest Ridge). And this mistake is from someone who has lived in Oakland Mills chunks of her life including all of her childhood; from someone whose office space was in the Oakland Mills Village Center for ten years and right across the street from the apartment complex! I apologize for any confusion I might have caused.